Did you know that your garbage disposal needs to be maintained on a monthly basis? Every time you run food down your garbage disposal—especially vegetable peels, eggshells, coffee grounds, or other food scraps—it can build-up which leads to long-term damage. If you don’t maintain your garbage disposal, you will eventually deal with a clog or a complete breakdown that requires the installation of a new disposal.
Whether you’re in need of garbage disposal repair, garbage disposal replacement, or garbage disposal installation, Ben Franklin Plumbing is here to help.
How long do garbage disposals last?
The lifespan of a garbage disposal greatly depends on how well it is treated and maintained. However, on average, garbage disposals usually last around 10 years. After a decade of use, disposals may clog or break down more often.
How do I keep my garbage disposal working properly?
To get the most out of your garbage disposal, make sure you’re treating it well and maintaining it properly. Here are a few simple tips from the experts at Benjamin Franklin Plumbing you should follow to extend the life of your garbage disposal:
- Run your disposal regularly. Frequent use prevents rust and corrosion while preventing waste build-up within.
- Run a cup or two of ice down your disposal once per week. This will assist in maintaining the sharpness of your blades.
- Use citrus to get rid of odor. Address occasional odors associated with daily use by cutting a lemon or orange up into slices and running them down your unit for a fresh scent.
- Don’t put fibrous foods down the disposal. Foods like celery, onion skins, and corn husks, for example, are more likely to cause jams than other types of food waste.
- Don’t pour grease, oil or fat into your garbage disposal. This will lead to the build-up that is most frequently the cause of disposal problems and breakage.
Why isn’t my garbage disposal working?
If your garbage disposal isn’t working properly, it could be because:
- There’s an electrical issue. If your garbage disposal won’t turn on at all, there’s a good chance it has lost power. It may have blown a circuit. To fix this problem, push the reset button located on the bottom of the unit. If that doesn’t work, look at your electrical panel for signs of a tripped circuit.
- There’s a clog. If you hear a humming noise when you flip the switch to your garbage disposal, there’s a good chance that your garbage disposal is experiencing a clog. To fix this, cut the power to the unit, shine a flashlight inside to see what’s caught, and reach inside to retrieve whatever is causing the clog. Once you’ve unclogged the disposal, turn it back on.
- It needs replacement. If neither of the things on this list seem to fit the bill for your broken disposal, it may be done for. If you’ve had the disposal for a while, you may just need to completely replace the device.
Fix your garbage disposal with the Punctual Plumbers at Benjamin Frarnklin
Garbage disposals are a necessity for anyone with a busy kitchen or workshop. This means that if you have a sink backup, leaking pipe, or motor malfunction—you need help, fast! That’s where we come in. Our Dallas Plumbing Company has the expertise and skill to quickly repair, install, or replace any type of garbage disposal. Your Benjamin Franklin plumbing technician will share detailed instructions of necessary maintenance with you so you’re less likely to face future problems.
Ben Franklin Plumbing has been repairing and installing garbage disposals in Dallas and the surrounding area for decades. To get your garbage disposal working properly again, get in touch with the Punctual Plumbers at Benjamin Franklin today!
Why Ben Franklin — The Punctual Plumber Guarantees
The experts at Ben Franklin work hard to ensure that we always provide you with the best services possible. From garbage disposal installation to emergency plumbing services, Ben Franklin makes the three following “Punctual Plumber Guarantees” on every job we do for you:
The Punctual Plumber isn’t just a brand, it’s a promise. Ben Franklin is the nation’s first plumbing company to directly reimburse our customers if we’re ever late to a job. If we fail to show up at our scheduled time, we pay you $5 per minute we’re late, up to $300.
Ben Franklin experts drive our distinctive “fully-stocked” trucks to every job we respond to. These trucks are crammed full of all the tools to effectively complete any plumbing repair you may need, and ensure that whenever we come to help, we can get the job done then and there.
Ben Franklin offers customers a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all of the garbage disposal repair, replacement, and installation work we complete. If you’re ever any less than completely satisfied with our service, let us know and we’ll make it right, guaranteed.
Garbage Disposal Frequently Asked Questions
Short answer: yes. Long answer: yes, but in some cases it makes more sense to replace the entire unit. Learn more about what you can do to repair a leaky garbage disposal!
These are the parts of a garbage disposal that work together to grind up food: the hopper chamber, which houses the disposal; flywheel and shredder ring, which catches food and prevents it from entering from the lower hopper chamber until it’s small enough; motor and impellers, which are the blades; the waste line connector, which flushes out the contents of the disposal into the drain pipe. Learn more about how a garbage disposal works!
If your garbage disposal is broken, it could be because it’s worn out. If you’ve had your garbage disposal for a while, it’s probably time to get a professional to come take a look at it. There’s also a chance you put something in it that it couldn’t handle. Read more!
To properly care for your garbage disposal you should avoid putting fibrous foods in it, putting ice down the drain to sharpen the blades, and getting it replaced every 10-12 years or so. Learn more about what you can do to keep your garbage disposal working well!