Even though we’ve been lucky in the Dallas area this summer in that many places have received more rain than normal, make no mistake about it – we’re still in a drought. That means, of course, that people all across North Texas are conserving water however they can. There are several things you can do around your home to help the cause; the best part is they’re not at all inconvenient to follow. Here are just a few of them.
- Don’t simply pour water down the drain when there could be another use for it, such as watering your indoor plants.
- If you have a leaking faucet, replace the washers. A faucet that leaks can waste as much as 2,700 gallons of water each years.
- Look for any plumbing leaks in your home and have them fixed by a professional.
- Make sure your appliances are not just energy efficient, but water efficient as well.
Water Conservation in the Bathroom
- Think about purchasing a low-flow toilet, because it uses substantially less water than traditional models.
- Also, use a low-flow shower head if possible.
- Don’t flush the toilet unnecessarily.
- Try not to keep the water running when you brush your teeth or shave.
Kitchen Water Conservation Tips
- Don’t turn on your dishwasher unless it is fully loaded. If you can, put it on the “light wash” setting.
- If you can, hand wash your dishes whenever possible.
- Defrost meat and other frozen foods in the refrigerator overnight rather than using running water to thaw them.
- Most lawns can survive very well being watered only once or twice a week.
- Make sure your sprinklers are positioned to water the lawn, not the sidewalk or other paved areas.
- Check your sprinkler regularly to make sure it is operating correctly.
If you have any questions about conserving water, or you’ve necessity of any kind of plumbing mending service, get in contact with the professionals at Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Dallas. Call us at (214) 989-4212 or contact us online.