If you have a toilet leak that goes undetected, you could potentially waste an astounding 80,000 gallons of water per year. That can make your water bill a great deal higher than it needs to be. If you have any reason to believe that you may have a leak, here are some simple ways to check to make sure. Call a professional plumber as soon as you can if you find a leak so that it can be fixed once and for all.
How to Do It
The typical toilet flush tank contains flush and refill valves. If the flush valve is not working properly, water will leak into the bowl from the tank. The refill valve will replenish this leaked water continually, leading to a great deal of waste. If the refill valve is malfunctioning, the tank will overfill, running from the overflow pipe into the toilet bowl. This overflow could also be caused by a float that has become waterlogged.
Here’s how to check for a flush valve problem:
- Turn off the water supply to check for this type of toilet leak. You should be able to find the shutoff valve below the tank on the left side.
- Mark the level of the water and then check again in 20 minutes.
- If the water is below the mark, then you have a leaking flush valve.
Here’s how to check for a refill valve leak:
- Get some food coloring and put some drops into the tank.
- Wait a few minutes and then inspect the toilet bowl.
- If you see any signs of color, you have a leak.
Make sure that you call an expert with Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Dallas if you find that you have a leak. We have the tools and equipment necessary to take care of your toilet leak quickly and make sure it is done correctly the first time. If you try this type of repair on your own and make a mistake, you could be at risk of causing serious damage that will cost a great deal of money to fix. Dial at (214) 989-4212 or visit us online to make an appointment.