There are a lot of DIY plumbing projects, of course, that many homeowners can handle on their own. The more handy you are – and even more importantly, the more patience you have – the more DIY jobs you can do.
It’s very important, however, to understand that even basic projects can take a great deal of time. If you aren’t a patient person or you have any doubts whatsoever regarding your ability to take care of a job, you should always decide to leave it to a professional instead. Here are some general plumbing tips to follow if you want to tackle a project by yourself.
- The biggest rule for any sort of DIY plumbing job is to make sure you shut off the water. To be on the safe side, find the valve that shuts off all the water in your home. If you can’t find it, get in touch with us and we can help.
- Since most plumbing projects will require that you get at least somewhat wet, never be anywhere near any sort of electrical fixture or receptacle. Shut off the power at the service panel to be safe.
- You have to know which pipes go where. For example, if you’re working on a gas water heater, you may have pipes that carry natural gas while others carry hot water.
- Use the right tools for the job.
- If you become unsure of what you’re doing, stop working immediately and call an expert. You could easily be injured or cause a great deal of damage to your plumbing if you make a mistake.
At Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Dallas, we will be here 24 hours a day, seven days a week if anything ever goes wrong with your DIY plumbing project. We also have many more plumbing tips we can offer if you have any questions. Give us a call at 972-301-8387 to schedule service or learn more.